Monday, July 23, 2012

Running and yoga: not so different?

by Jessica Niekrasz
Even though the practices of running and yoga seem to be at polar ends of the activity scale, these activities embrace some of the same principles. I've done each exclusively but consistently return to finding a balance between the two. Without a doubt, I am a better runner for having found yoga. And, without a doubt, I'm a better yogi for having found running. Here are some ways:

Stilling the Mind  Yoga and running both provide the opportunity to get inside myself. Not my mind. After a good run, my mind is empty. During a run, the use of breath and the sound of steps create a pattern - a focus if you will - to help empty my mind of thoughts. On my mat, the breath is there to help direct me inward, to build awareness in my body. The end result is the same: this is sacred time to focus on myself, develop awareness and push the external world to the sidelines until the run or practice is over.

Patience and Understanding  Compassion for one's self is essential in both running and yoga. Let's face it, you never really know how something is going to turn out until the activity is through. Preparation and training can increase chances of success, but sometimes, external factors impede progress. It is the ability to go with the flow and accept the change that makes the difference. I'll say it, shit happens and it's your response (read: patience and understanding) that shows true grace. Time on the mat helps develop that. So does running.

Flexibility  It's obvious how yoga helps running, but how does running help yoga? Endurance. Overcoming challenge. Staying with something even though it's not going well. Stick-to-Itness. This is how running helps my yoga. It's why I coach beginner runners and triathletes. When you develop flexibility of the mind and the body - watch out world! You can do anything.

Jessica Niekrasz is a 200-hour certified yoga teacher, certified Good Form Running Coach, and is currently pursuing her Level 1 USA Triathlon Coach certification. She teaches "Yoga for Athletes" workshops around the Chicagoland area and offers private in-home yoga therapy sessions. Learn more about Jessica at http://www.yogasedge.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment