Monday, June 11, 2012

Hollyhock Hill Farm visit

by Judi Harvin
Many yogis are devout vegetarians. Some do include meat in their diet for a variety of reasons, but find conflict when studying yoga philosophy, mainly the yamas and niyamas, or yogic codes of behavior. How is the ethical, meat-eating yogi to practice ahimsa (non-violence)?

One way is to be aware of how the animal you plan to consume is raised. I won't address the horrors of factory farming here, just know that being raised in a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation) ain't no day at the spa for these poor critters. I try to avoid supporting this treatment of animals with my $$$, for ethical and health reasons both.

Joe and Doug view one of the farm fields. I forgot 
the details, but this looks like potatoes to me.
Because my family does choose to include some meat in our diet, I've searched for local farmers who treat their animals well. This includes access to sun, fresh air, space to stretch their legs and move. I like supporting small farmers who are trying to do it right. That's how I found Joe Reaver of Hollyhock Hill Farms.

I've purchased my chicken from Joe for years, and finally, this weekend, got a chance to see his farm in person. Joe gave my husband and I a tour while we were picking up meat directly from him. (It's really great to be able to see the farm you buy your food from in person!) Here you'll find a few photos of his slice of heaven just outside of Sterling, IL. Joe raises produce, poultry, and eggs, and would love to make a delivery to us. Email me at focusyoga@ameritech.net if you are interested.  See more information about the farm, as well as a price list at www.hollyhockhillfarms.com.


Field of greens... 

The chicken spa. These are the laying chickens. 
Hard to see in this photo, as most of them are resting 
in the shade of the pine tree. One appears ready to 
take a dip (I suspect just a drink).





These are young turkeys. They are now in this 
open air pen, because if put with the chickens at this 
young age, they would be bullied too much. 
When they are older and wiser, they will get to soar 
with the big girls.

Hanging out by the water cooler.





No comments:

Post a Comment